Tuesday, September 11, 2007

So It Begins

Okay, right away, I know that watching women’s soccer is not for everybody. Many of you would rather watch your local town’s fourth division U10 boy’s squad in action on a rainy Saturday morning. You are excused from this posting. Just skip over it; there’s plenty of men’s soccer/football/futbol to keep you happy on the net. For those of you who follow women’s soccer, well, read on. This is the start of an exciting month of action.

The Women’s World Cup started today in China with Germany showing why I think they should be considered favorites to defend their title. Argentina didn’t offer much resistance in their 11-0 loss – and yes, it was as cringe inducing as the score indicates. Supporters of the women’s game didn’t want to see this type of first match but that’s always a possibility with women’s soccer. There are the countries with strong histories, there are countries that have rapidly developing programs and there are countries that operate their teams on a shoe string budget and hope for the best.

Before the match, I was hoping that Argentina would hold Germany to a 5-0 result. It wasn’t to be. Don’t fret; we will see some tight matches even in the group play stage. In fact, I’m looking forward to the second day of action where I think we’ll see two very close matches (USA v No. Korea & England v Japan) with a likely action packed (potential goal fest) third match between Nigeria and Sweden.

Why, do I watch women’s soccer? Well, back in 1991, I was looking for a sport for my five year old daughter to play. I wanted something challenging and entertaining for her. I heard of a local AYSO program and my daughter took to the sport pretty quickly. Later she moved to another recreational program, and then we went to a U13 club team where I became the coach. I was fortunate to watch that group of girls develop into a championship winning side over the next six years. They were a hard working group but kept things in perspective; always laughing during pre match warm-ups but they took care of business when the whistle blew. Their desire to compete (and win) was just as strong as any team of boys I ever saw.

In 1991, I also read about the USA team winning the first Women’s World Cup (also played in China). There wasn’t much hoopla about this event or American victory but it gave me the idea that there would actually be female players for my daughter (and later her teammates) to watch. Starting in 1995, I took my daughter to several matches, clinics and appearances by the US players. The players were always warm to my daughter, happy to oblige with chats, autographs, and picture taking. In particular, Brandi Chastain was very dear, always bringing my daughter to her side and chatting with her about friends, school, and oh yes, soccer, on numerous occasions. All this was pre-1999.

The hoopla that surrounded the Women’s World Cup in 1999 and followed for the next few years changed the perception of women’s soccer in this country (for good and bad) but it did not change the players. Chastain, Foudy, Fawcett, and most of the rest still warmly greeted my daughter even though the lines were longer, and the demand for their time became, well, more demanding. They were world champions but they didn’t lose sight of their humble sports backgrounds. They were aware that the youngsters they met would become the players & supporters of the sport in years to come. Simply put, they loved the game and you could see that as plain as day.

So, I still watch today for the competition, the growing skill level, and in tribute to the legacy those early players have forged.

No comments: